Overnight Camp for Boys ...
A Home Away From Home. A Place to Build Character,
Confidence and Lifelong Friendships!
Our boys Overnight Camp will provide your child with a high-quality program in a safe, supportive environment led by an enthusiastic group of professionally trained adult role models. Unlike most camps, which are co-ed, the single-gender nature of Camp Ockanickon means campers experience something different and uniquely supportive. Our younger campers are happily engaged in activities and challenges appropriate to their ages, and our teen programs for boys are perfectly suited to older campers as they mature and take on more responsibilities and challenges. The beautiful Pinelands setting is the perfect backdrop for character-building while connecting with nature at our boys summer camp.
At Camp Ockanickon, there is a focus on the individual growth and development of skills and talents distinctive to boys in their journey toward independence. Ocky boys spend their days swimming, boating, kayaking, hiking, enjoying a sport with new friends, improving their aim on the archery range or learning a new appreciation of nature in our earth education program. They may also choose to take up digital photography, learn how to play rugby or go fishing. Ocky boys also have the opportunity to develop confidence, self esteem and leadership skills on our high and low ropes courses, the climbing wall and the zipline. Ocky campers know that they are part of something meaningful, something bigger than themselves.
The end of each day often brings night-sky viewing and time spent around the campfire. Living in rustic cabins with boys their own age, Ocky campers learn about loyalty, cooperation and how to forge lasting relationships. Bunkmates often become lifelong friends. Compromise, fair play, sharing, self-reliance, and leadership development for boys are the hallmarks of this YMCA Camp experience.
At the end of the summer, Ocky campers know that they have been part of something meaningful, something bigger than themselves.
Need more Info? Contact us today!
Check out our sister camp, Matollionequay for girls
Interested in our day camp for boys and girls? Find more info here
What Makes Us So Special?
OUR CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK AND PHILOSOPHY
We tell Ockanickon campers, “The Hero Is You.”
Think about the heroes of stories. When you read or hear a story, there’s something you’re meant to understand. In fact, we believe it’s the main reason we tell stories. You’re meant to understand that the hero is you.
In your own life, it’s you who is at the center of the story. It’s you who encounters fear and failure. It’s you who meets allies and mentors. It’s you who could explore, grow, and discover new potential. It’s you who could use that potential to make the world a better place for all!
You could do this, but first, you would have to see yourself as the hero.
You would have to choose to take on this responsibility. You’d have to reject the easy route and head towards the difficult truth. By doing this, you may find a greater purpose and meaning. You may discover a better, more heroic version of yourself!
We want our campers to see the hero within themselves and within others. We want them to push their potential not to be the best in the world, but to be the best for the world.
Pulling from the steps of the hero’s journey, our six core values, and inspirational stories and people from our camp’s history, we created the six heroic potentials to help aid your son on this great adventure.
Ascender, Elder, Spirit, Stargazer, Storm, and Monk
These character and performance strengths are the developmental-core of the Ockanickon program. They are depicted as shields because they represent sources of strength. Rotated sideways, they are depicted as arrows because they point the path towards reaching potential.
INSPIRED BY: Frank DeMartini, former Ockanickon camper, who helped save dozens of people during the September 11, 2001 attacks. He was seen going back up the tower to save others before it collapsed.
Ascender Potential is about acting when action is necessary. Ascenders step bravely.
INSPIRED BY: Chief Ockanickon, 17th Century leader of the Lenni-Lenape and namesake of our camp. On his deathbed, he famously said, “Be plain and fair to all as I have been.”
Elder Potential is about valuing each and respecting all.
INSPIRED BY: The unique spirit and feel of summer camp, especially derived from the phrases, “Spirit of Matollionequay,” and “Spirit of Ockanickon.” Camp is all about joy and togetherness.
Spirit Potential is about seizing joy together.
INSPIRED BY: The achievements and accomplishments of Ockanickon and Matollionequay alumni over the last 113 years. From spending summers looking up at the stars to becoming scientists, educators, governors and generals, they’ve gone on to do tremendous things with their lives.
Stargazer Potential is about being courageously curious.
INSPIRED BY: The 2004 storm that destroyed our dams and washed away our camp lakes for the next couple summers. The New York Times called it a “1000-year storm.”
Storm Potential is about striving again in the face of failure.
INSPIRED BY: Thich Nhat Hanh, Vietnamese Buddhist monk and esteemed guest to camp the summer of 1962. He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monk Potential is about aiming to understand and searching for the truth.
2020 Overnight Camp Dates & Rates
Register by October 31, 2019 and get 5% off* session(s) of sleepaway camp 2020. *Discount does not apply to mini-camp and cannot be combined with any other offer.
- Session 1: Sunday, June 28 – Saturday, July 4
- Session 2: Sunday, July 5 – Saturday, July 11
- Session 5: Sunday, August 9 – Saturday, August 15
- Session 6: Sunday, August 16 – Saturday, August 22
- Session 7: Sunday, August 23 – Saturday, August 29 (Co-ed)
- Session 3: Sunday, July 12 – Saturday, July 25 “Matocky Games”
- Session 4: Sunday, July 26 – Saturday, August 8 “Color Wars”
Mini-Session Sleepaway Camp
- Session 2: Sunday, July 5 – Wednesday, July 8
- Session 3: Sunday, July 12 – Wednesday, July 15
- 1 Week Pricing – Tier A: $850 – Tier B: $800 – Tier C: $745
- 2 Week Pricing – Tier A: $1,650 – Tier B: $1,535 – Tier C: $1,440
- Mini Camp Session – $249 (no coupons or discounts can be applied)
Learn More About Camp Ockanickon for Boys...
- Camp Ockanickon Activities Take the challenge of trying a new sport. Stretch your creative boundaries. Sing around a campfire. Explore nature trails. Learn to work together as a group. Make new friends. Our 800 acres of Camp provide a place for everything you’ll want to do for the summer of a lifetime.
- Camp Ockanickon Character and Leadership Development Programs The Bodaway Trials and Path Leader Training incorporate the Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, Courage and Inclusion into a unique opportunity to build leadership skills in a camp environment.
- Camp Ockanickon Horseback Riding YMCA of the Pines partners with Suffolk Stables to provide horseback riding lessons for attendees of Summer Camp sessions. These lessons offer the opportunity for developing equestrians to become more confident in their abilities and comfortable within a community of riders.
- For Camp Ockanickon Parents Through progressive, age-appropriate activities, our campers learn invaluable, 21st century skills, which will help them succeed long after their days at Ockanickon are done. Campers will walk away with a smile and a trait that is best described as grit.
- For Camp Ockanickon Campers We can’t imagine being anywhere else in the world and we're thrilled that you have chosen to spend your summer with us here at Camp Ockanickon. There's so much to do at Camp Ockanickon. But don't just take our word for it...